Sunday, November 4, 2012

A great perspective

I have to confess I've been way too in to this presidential election. I get a bit obsessed with watching cable news channels, soaking up every story and the latest polls and checking all the political websites every chance I get. My usual run down includes drudge, breitbart, daily caller, real clear politics and twitchy. Thanks to my kids' iPad I can lie in bed at night and read all the latest while fox news is on in the background. It's really bad. I've been convicted constantly with a nagging feeling of "this is wrong, you are putting way more time in to this than you do in to reading the Bible".  Sad but true.

Last night I came across a post by Erick Erikson of RedState.com. It really sums up my view, despite how into this thing I have been. Here are some excerpts:


My world view is pretty simple. I think this world is destined to go to hell in a hand basket by design. I think things are supposed to go to pot. So if Barack Obama wins, I won’t be upset (maybe a little bit on my part!). If Mitt Romney wins, I won’t be running through the streets cheering (again, I might be smiling pretty big on Wednesday!). I think, either way, it is all part of the design. The world is going down hill. Barack Obama re-elected just gets us down the slippery slope faster in my view. For others, it is Mitt Romney who does.
God is sovereign and He is in charge and He will return. That is my hope and my ever present expectation.
We often get so wrapped up in the view of things at ground level, we forget to look at the world from 50,000 feet. In the historic, grand scheme of things, this too will end.
...When I wake up on Wednesday morning, I’m still going to have my wife (for me, husband!). I’m still going to have my kids. I’m still going to have my family. And I’m still going to have my God. So will you.
....What I do know for sure is that I’m headed home to eternity and this world is temporary. So while I like politics and have my side and want it to win, I’m not going to be partying in the street if my side does win and I’m not going to think the end of the world is upon us if my side loses.
You should not either.
...God is sovereign. And whether you are for Barack Obama or Mitt Romney, set your sights on God, not November 6th, and be happy. In four years, we really will do this all over again whether right now you think so or not. There is no permanence except in Heaven.
These all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.
— Hebrews 11:13-16 (ESV)


So, that says it all. Now don't kid yourself, Tuesday night I will be completely enthralled in the returns. I will get the kids down early and I will hunker down and soak in every last minute of the coverage. I know the Lord is in control and nothing escapes him and that is extremely comforting. But I will sure be hoping to hear, "Fox News projects that Gov Mitt Romney wins the state of Virginia, then Florida, then Ohio, then" ...well you get the picture!

The East Prairie Ministerial Alliance is having a 24 hour prayer vigil for the election. It will be held at our church building and will go from 7 Monday night to 7 pm on Tuesday, Election Day. We are also a polling place so it's nice to be in the center of the action, as you have by now gathered that I am!

To read Erick Erickson's entire article click here.



No comments:

Post a Comment